Search This Blog

"Whatever you do, do your work heartily, as for the Lord rather than for men."Colossians 3:23

5.26.2013

TRAVELING LITE-Houston Zoo Trip

When I venture outside on a field trip to sketch I really do not enjoy lugging around a whole bunch of art supplies and equipment.  So I have been experimenting over the last few years, trying to figure out what the bare essentials necessary to artistically capture the moment.

This is what I took on my field trip to Houston's Zoo knowing I realistically would only have a minute or two for quick sketching and not more than 15 minutes to complete longer sketches or a travel watercolor.



My Travel Kit:
My Kit included:  Koi Watercolor Set, 3" x 5" 140# watercolor paper pad, Rowler Downey 5" x 8" Sketchbook, graphite pencil, Sakura Micro Pen 03, Faber Castell Sepia Toned Pencil, 2-small clips, and sharpener.

These are just a few of the sketches I was able to complete on our trip:


This was a very quick sketch, maybe 1-2 minutes while we were passing through the exotic bird exhibits.



This was just one of the several bronze fountain sculptures outside of the Bird House.  The scene of the bear grabbing the antelope intrigued me.




This was a collage of sketches made while I was eating lunch with my husband by the duck pond.  I decided to do as many quick gesture sketches of the zoo patrons as I could without them noticing.  There are several favorite poses in this sketch, but the one I am most fond of is the young mother eating her slice of pizza while looking at a location map while her toddler sits patiently in her stroller.

HELPFUL HINTS:  Don't forget to bring a hat, sunscreen, sports wipes, and bottled water while out sketching.  Especially during the Summer months it is easy to become distracted with drawing and get overheated and sunburned.

UR-TURN:  Please share What's In Your Art Travel Kits & Favorite Places you recently sketched.


Until next time.

Many Blessings,




"So God created the great creatures of the sea and every living thing with which the water teems and that moves about in it, according to their kinds, and every winged bird according to its kind. And God saw that it was good."  Genesis 1:21

No comments:

Post a Comment


COPYRIGHT

All artwork and photos are copyright protected and may not be reproduced in any manner without the express written consent of the artist. Don't steal, it's not nice!