Search This Blog

"Whatever you do, do your work heartily, as for the Lord rather than for men."Colossians 3:23

5.16.2013

Botanical Field Study

My sweet neighbor had called me to come by her home.  She wanted to share some of her produce with me.  As I drove up her driveway, I noticed one of her wildflower beds was stunning.  Later I remarked how nice it must be to look outside her breakfast nook each morning, while enjoying a cup of coffee, and view these beauties.  

I had a pressing art project to finish that day needed to get back to this work, but asked if I could come back very soon.  I desired to work on a botanical study of these wonderful specimens.  

Two days later I finally had a few hours to sit and paint.  I Loaded up my car with my Winsor Newton portable easel, French Easel Umbrella, Field Book of cold pressed 140# watercolor paper, Koi portable watercolor paints, Cannon T3 Rebel camera, Tilley hat, sunscreen, and chair.  When I arrived to my neighbor's home, it was around 8:30 a.m.  The day was warming up nicely and the sun was casting just the right amount and direction of light for my project.


Here is a closeup of the wildflowers I was painting


This is the finished botanical study of Larkspur, Iceland Poppies, Indian Blanket and Bumble Bee 

HELPFUL HINTS:  I find that packing just a few essentials makes my plein air painting experience much more enjoyable.  Also, if I only have an hour or two to work, I decide which flowers or plants that I want to paint and then focus on a few parts instead trying to capture the whole plant.  I try to relax and add no pressure on my painting skills.  As a result my work is more spontaneous and interesting.   Another difference is the position of my easel, it is upright, not flat so that gravity pulls the watercolor down the page giving me more interesting washes.

UR-TURN:  Share your favorite places or flowers to make field studies.

Until next time.

Many Blessings,


No comments:

Post a Comment


COPYRIGHT

All artwork and photos are copyright protected and may not be reproduced in any manner without the express written consent of the artist. Don't steal, it's not nice!